Gremlins

Chris Van Deelen

Chris Van Deelen is the author of the Skirmisher Publishing LLC sourcebook Creatures of the Tropical Wastes sourcebook, co-author of its Wisdom from the Wastelands game supplement and contributor to the 'Sword of Kos: Hekaton' Anthology.

No. Enc: 1 (10d10)
Alignment:  lawful (chaotic)
Movement: 90' (30')
AC: 6 (40)
HD: 1 (2)
Attacks: 1 Bite (3 bite, claw, claw or by weapon)
Damage: 1d2 (1d3 / 1d4 / 1d4 or by weapon)
Save: L1
Morale: 6
Hoard Class: None (VIII, XVIII (artifacts only))

It is said that Gremlins have existed since before mankind crawled from the trees to play with fire. It is also said that these creatures were created to wreak havoc behind enemy lines by the Ancients during the final wars. As is typically the case with most of the creatures encountered in the wastes, no one knows for certain. Fact is these creatures, like the Eaters and other diminutive monsters, are chaos brought to life.

These little monsters have two forms. First is a small furry, friendly looking form with large ears and expressive eyes. They have three fingers and toes and little round bellies that set most creatures that encounter them at ease.  They are about 18” in height and weigh in at about 5 pounds.

The second form is far different. They are reptilian in nature, and are about 50% larger than the first form. These creatures are chaos embodied. They live to cause destruction and mayhem, and to party. Surprisingly enough, they are the original party animals.

Very few of the first form encountered are lawful. These creatures go out of their way to avoid water and to cause as little trouble as possible. The reason they avoid water is that water is how they reproduce.

Whenever one of these mutants is doused with water, it acts as if it was burned by acid. In fact, 1d6 large painful looking cysts appear on their back and in 1d6 rounds they literally pop off. In an additional 1d6 rounds the small cyst grows to a full sized Gremlin.

90% of the offspring of the originating creatures are chaotic in nature. The other 10% are lawful.

Of course the Reptilian versions don’t avoid water; they actively seek water out and reproduce exponentially.

In order for the mutant creature to change forms, it has to eat during the darkest part of the night, between midnight and four AM. Their bodies have genetic triggers that allow for this change to take place. Once they eat, they curl up into a ball and their bodies are quickly covered by a leathery shell. Note that only the Chaotic Gremlins will do this, the lawful Gremlins will avoid food and only eat during the periods of time when their bodies are not susceptible to the genetic trigger.

It takes 24 hours for the creatures to complete the metamorphosis and once it is done, they emerge and instantly start causing as much trouble as they can. It is then that the creatures will actively seek out sources of water to increase their population. All